Friday, August 28, 2015

When I'm 64



When I’m 64

When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out 'til quarter to three, would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too
Ah, and if you say the word, I could stay with you

I could be handy, mending a fuse when your lights have gone
You can knit a sweater by the fireside, Sunday mornings, go for a ride
Doing the garden, digging the weeds, who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?

Every summer we can rent a cottage
In the Isle of Wight if it's not too dear
We shall scrimp and save
Ah, grandchildren on your knee, Vera, Chuck and Dave

Send me a postcard, drop me a line stating point of view
Indicate precisely what you mean to say, yours sincerely wasting away
Give me your answer, fill in a form, mine forever more
Will you still need me, will you still feed me when I'm sixty-four?

The Beatles, 1967






In June 1967 I was 16 and “When I’m 64” was released by the Beatles.  Paul McCartney wrote it when he was 16 and tweaked it for the Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely hearts Club Band  Album.

I always liked the song and thought it was neat that a guy wanted to be sure that his girl would still love him when  he was 64, 48 years from now.
Paul is 72 now and I turned 64 September 28th.  I still like and sing the song, but who would have though that staying out ‘til quarter to three was referring to PM, not AM?

At age 16 I couldn’t envision what I would be doing at 64.  I had not yet met my wife and I planned to join the Air Force out of High School and make it a career.

I would retire after 20 years in the Military and then begin my civilian career.

God had other plans.  I flunked the Air Force Physical and spent the next 47 years selling Millwork, selling Shoes, selling Insurance and working on Computers.  Finally in 1995 God got through to me and said go into the Ministry.
God had been pulling at me since I was a young boy but I kept insisting that I new what I wanted to do.

God had other plans and it took  30 years for me to get it.

If God is calling you, I hope it doesn't take 30 years for you to get it.

If it does, so be it , but be prepared to give him all that you have, just as he has given us all that we have.

I don’t know how long I will be in the ministry, I don’t know how long God wants me here.  I do know that  I am finally doing what God wants and I do know that now more than ever God needs the Gospel of Jesus Christ proclaimed to a world in crisis.

I am rewriting the song to go
“When I’m 84”
Who’ld of thunk it?

Pastor Steve

No comments: