Monday, December 19, 2016

More Musings



Web  Site, Facebook, Blog,  IM, Tweet, Snapchat and Text, we stay connected to the world and our friends so that every waking moment we know and let other people know what we are thinking.  

I don’t want to know what you are thinking every waking moment and you certainly don’t want to know what I am thinking.  The very technology that has enable us to get instant information has also become the best way to get misinformation.  The fact that an angry remark, once only heard by a few can be immortalized and spread around the world is scary at best, stupid to say the least. 

   Blogging has taken away the insightful, thoughtful writings that we would occasionally see because something must be turned out every day if you are to stay on top.  The Facebook ads and pop-ups slant the news give their ideas to people looking at your page and the shaping of thought is funneled into one big idea.  George Orwell never dreamed of this, 1984 on steroids.

   Don’t get me wrong, a web presence is necessary.  I create and mange Web Sites as well as Networks .  I make sure that the Doctors and Chiropractor office has IM so each person can communicate from their computer without leaving their desk or shouting a cross the room.  My wife likes talking and seeing her Brother in Peru  from time to time via Messenger on Facebook  and  when I want information I Google it  and expect the information I need to be there. 

  What I don’t like is the amount of misinformation and slanted views that permeate the Web and the gullibility of people getting that information.  CNN reports that teens spend 9 hours a day using media.  Anything over 30 seconds is to long for the average attention span, the reason you hear two 15 second ads back to back  is you will  tune in to some of both and get the idea.  Make your presence count but keep it fresh.  The people who come across your presence are on the move and will not stop unless something catches their eye.  Your word of mouth is the best way to get people on your sites, expecting a following just because you are on the Web doesn’t work.

   Jesus would not be tweeting, texting, on Facebook or have a Web Page because Jesus communicated one on one, face to face , with real people.  He directed his communication to the people around him and it was recorded by his Disciples and followers.  God directed what would be written and we have it in a timeless book that isn’t updated every 30 days and does not change with every new administration.  I imagine Peter however would be Texting, Tweeting, IM’ing and posting everything going on.

   My Ministry involves people, not technology.  I have a website www.MtCalvaryMission.com , a Blog http://mtcalvarymission.blogspot.com/ and I am on Facebook.  I keep information on my Webpage I sometime add  thoughts to my Blog and I never check Facebook, my wife looks at stuff posted my her Sister and Nieces.  I can be found and information is posted but my Ministry is not in the Cloud.

    I deal with people everyday and I minister to people  daily and weekly.  Everything I say and do does not need to be shared, the little that does, is.  I urge you to take advantage of and have a Web presence but just as with the Savior the Real Presence is what counts. Put relevant information and current information on your pages, stay up to date and use the available platform to fit your Ministry.  You can offer Bible Studies, Prayer Requests and the opportunity to answer questions and concerns on your sites.  Search for the information you want to give people and then check out the sites that come up, yours needs to be like them. 

I Love to Tell the Story!
 Pastor steve

No comments: