Monday, August 29, 2016

More Musings.....



We seem to have two pathological liars  running for president. Neither seems qualified to be president.
God however uses the most unlikely to do His work. 
A summary of Biblical 'candidates'...
1. Adam - Good man but has wife trouble.
2. Noah - former pastorate of 120 years with no converts, problem with the bottle, and a wayward son morals problem.
3. Abraham - Scandal ridden, offered wife to another man, child abuse
4. Joseph - dreamer, prison record
5. Moses - poor communicator, stutters, unanswered murder charge
6. David - affair with neighbor's wife, hired a hit man to kill husband
7. Solomon - husband of more than one wife, in fact parsonage too small
8. Elijah - prone to depression and nervous break downs
9. Elisha - reported to have live with a single widow at former church
10. Hosea - our congregation could not handle his wife's occupation
11. Jeremiah - emotionally unstable, alarmist, negative, lamenter, reported to have buried underwear on a foreign river bank, claims to have a set of recreated originals
12. Isaiah - language problems, on the fringe, claims to see angels
13. Jonah - refuses to preach to the lost unless forced to by God
14. Amos - backward and unpolished, does not like the rich
15. John - does not dress like a Baptist, weird diet, provokes higher powers
16. Peter - bad temper, curses, hypocrite in racial matters, loose cannon
17. Paul - uses racial epitaphs, preaches all night
18. Timothy - too young and single
19. Jesus - dwindled church of 5,000 down to 12 or 120, offends folks
20. Judas - His references are solid. Good connections. Knows how to handle money, has compassion for poor. He is preaching for us Sunday. Possibilities here.

I leave you with this prayer.

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve:
I was made weak that I might obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things:
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy:
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men:
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life:
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I received nothing that I asked for, but all I had hoped for.
My prayer was answered, I am most richly blessed.
written by an unknown Confederate soldier
Pastor Steve

No comments: